- Listed in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Appendix I. Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances.
- Listed in the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) Appendix II. Migratory species that have an unfavourable conservation status or would benefit significantly from international co-operation are listed in Appendix II.
- Listed as a “Grade 1 National Key Protected Species” in mainland China.
- Protected under Wild Animals Protection Ordinance (Cap 170) and Protection of Endangered Species of Animals and Plant Ordinance (Cap 586).
- Sha Chau and Lung Kwu Chau Marine Park was designated in 1996, aiming to protect one of the most important habitats of Chinese white dolphins in Hong Kong. However, a number of their habitats recognised as important in Hong Kong are not legally protected.