Director, Water and Wetlands (Job Code: W-DWW)In support of CEO and Director of Conservation WWF-Hong Kong, the Director, Water and Wetlands is responsible for management and research at the Mai Po Nature Reserve and Ramsar site, Hong Kong. This involves leading and mentoring staff at the reserve (including the Assistant Director), overseeing wetlands management strategies and programme delivery, and liaising with local government authorities. The position involves work on local biodiversity as well as water-resource and wetlands management by WWF Hong Kong and the Hong Kong SAR Government, and wetland partners in the Asia Region, including liaison with Ramsar, East Asian–Australasian Flyway Partnership (EAAFP) and Wetland Link International.
- Liaison with the Chairs of both the Mai Po Management Committee and Conservation Advisory Committee WWF HK and other stakeholders (such as Hong Kong SAR Government), as well the Director of Conservation to oversee all wetland projects, with partial responsibility for management, research and monitoring at the Mai Po Nature Reserve.
- Provide WWF-Hong Kong with technical wetlands expertise, intellectual leadership and advice on EAAF wetland conservation issues, and administers the Asia Wetland Conservation Fund. Responsible for oversight of funding for habitat management on the Reserve, as well as seeking external financial resources to support such management.
- Develop synergies within WWF-Hong Kong, its partners and stakeholders Ramsar, EAAFP, IUCN and Wetland Link International to facilitate and enhance active management to protect coastal wetlands across the Region. This would include providing training opportunities to build capacity among these partners.
- Proven track record in successfully developing, leading, and managing wetlands research and management projects.
- Extensive working experience (~10 years) with wetlands and environmental issues, preferably in the Asia-Pacific region. Knowledge of land-use policy and ecology would be desirable.
- Demonstrated experience and/or capacity to be a team leader and mentor, as well as an effective scientific spokesperson who can influence local government and engage with regional and international stakeholders or working within an international body.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Cantonese or Mandarin highly desirable.
We offer a 5-day work week and competitive compensation and benefits packages to the right candidate. The office location of this post is at our Kwai Hing office (near MTR station). Interested parties please send your CV stating present and expected salary to the HR Manager via email: email@example.com. Please indicate the Job Code in the subject of your e-mail.
Application would be considered until the post is filled.
(All information provided will be used for recruitment-related purpose only. Applicants who do not hear from us within six weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. It is our policy to retain the personal data of unsuccessful applicants for future recruitment purposes for a period of six months.)