You will also need a 'Mai Po Marshes Entry Permit' to enter the Reserve which you can apply for by writing to:
The Director, Agriculture, Fisheries & Conservation Department, 5/F - 7/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
or by fax (852) 2377 4413.
For enquiries about the 'Mai Po Marshes Entry Permit', please call 2708 8885 or send it to email@example.com.
If you wish to go out through the Frontier Closed Area (FCA) Border Fence and onto our Floating Boardwalk and Hide to see the birds on the Deep Bay mudflats, you must apply for a separate 'FCA Permit' from the Hong Kong Police Force through WWF-Hong Kong. These permits normally take about eight weeks to be processed and there will be a handling fee of HK$100/person for each permit.
Notification will be given when the permit is ready for collection. Please be reminded to bring along your HKID card, membership card of WWF-Hong Kong and HK$100 with you to collect.
Solo Walk for Overseas Naturalists
We note that overseas naturalists visiting Hong Kong may have limited period of stay here and may find it tight enough to apply for the required government permits to visit the Nature Reserve. WWF-Hong Kong is able to facilitate the native lovers who are one of the following members by providing them a one-day entry permit:
- members of other affiliates of WWF;
- members of recognized birdwatching societies
- staff of recognized natural reserves
- university teaching staff in related faculty
- members of other conservation organization to visit the Reserve
Inside Mai Po Nature Reserve
Entry the Frontier Closed Area
4 or above
12 or above
- Only 5 permits would be issued for solo walk visitors every day, we will not issue permit without advance booking.
- Please read through the Code of Entry before visit;
- Please bring along with your original copy of documental proof and passport for checking at visitor centre;
- The latest time for collecting permit at visitor centre is 3:00pm.
- The visiting time is 9:00am to 5:00pm