You will also need a 'Mai Po Marshes Entry Permit' to enter the Reserve which you can apply for by writing to:
The Director, Agriculture, Fisheries & Conservation Department, 5/F - 7/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
or by fax (852) 2377 4413.
For enquiries about the 'Mai Po Marshes Entry Permit', please call 2708 8885 or send it to email@example.com.
You need to hold a Frontier Closed Area (FCA) Permit issued by the Hong Kong Police Force if you wish to gain access to the WWF-Hong Kong floating boardwalk and hides outside the Border Fence. WWF-Hong Kong has since the late 1980s assisted its members to apply for the FCA permit which normally requires about eight weeks processing time. Each permit is valid for a maximum 12 month period and expires on 4th March each year. There will be a fee of HK$130 per person for each permit(to be paid when submitting application). FCA permits can now be applied online, CLICK HERE .
Notification will be given when the permit is ready for collection from the Mai Po Visitor Centre via the email address provided by the applicant. The permit will be handed over upon presentation of your HK identity card, a valid* membership card of WWF-Hong Kong and valid* Mai Po Marshes Entry permit (*non-expired on the day of collection).
For non HK identity card holders, application cannot be done online. For more information, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solo Walk for Overseas Naturalists
We note that overseas naturalists visiting Hong Kong may have limited period of stay here and may find it tight enough to apply for the required government permits to visit the Nature Reserve. WWF-Hong Kong is able to facilitate the native lovers who are one of the following members by providing them a one-day entry permit:
- members of other affiliates of WWF;
- members of recognized birdwatching societies
- staff of recognized natural reserves
- university teaching staff in related faculty
- members of other conservation organization to visit the Reserve
Inside Mai Po Nature Reserve
Entry the Frontier Closed Area
4 or above
12 or above
- Only 5 permits would be issued for solo walk visitors every day, we will not issue permit without advance booking.
- Please read through the Code of Entry before visit;
- Please bring along with your original copy of documental proof and passport for checking at visitor centre;
- Additional HK$200 should be paid for the deposit of permit which will be refund when permit return.
- The latest time for collecting permit at visitor centre is 3:00pm.
- The visiting time is 9:00am to 5:00pm